Today’s the day: David Hernandez, the handsomely talented voice from American Idol, has released his single, “Beautiful.” Having been in the works for over six months, Hernandez was able to create “Beautiful” and have a full understanding of the meaning behind his song as well as the message he wants his fans to get from the tune.
“Learning to love and embrace yourself can quite challenging depending on where you are in life,” Hernandez says. “Being raised by a single parent and growing up in a somewhat tumultuous environment at times kind of sticks with you as you grow.
“With a complete album in the works, “Beautiful” is the “perfect single to kick off this new journey in music,” Hernandez says. In anticipation of the release, we got to know David a little more with some rapid fire questions to celebrate the release of his new single.
How long has this been in the works?
It’s been about 6-8 months. By the time we got done recording it , finalizing the concept for the video, and working with everyone’s schedules, the release ended up being August 16th. Needless to say, I’ve been highly anticipating this damn release!
What was your inspiration for Beautiful?
The inspiration for the music video came at a really pivotal time for me. Learning to love and embrace yourself can quite challenging depending on where you are in life. Being raised by a single parent and growing up in a somewhat tumultuous environment at times kinda sticks with you as you grow. Those instability & self-esteem issues can really affect you. I wasted to remind everyone that even with all of your flaws, trials and tribulations etc, you’re still beautiful, inside and out. It’s the reason I cast so many different body types, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religious beliefs, and ages in my video. At the end of the day we are all human and want love. The world is crazy but change starts with us. I guess what I wanted people to take away was love and acceptance. We all might be different but there’s room for all of us. That was really my inspiration.
What’s your favorite thing to do while you are writing a new song?
My favorite thing to do is draw from my life’s experiences. Everything I sing I need to believe in or relate to in some capacity. Even if it’s for another artist I still ask myself, “how can I relate to this so the lyrics and melody are authentic?” So I try and dig deep.
What does your writing process look like?
It’s different every time depending on who I’m co writing with. Sometimes the idea starts with me and sometimes they bring an idea to the table. Everyone takes a different approach so I really just let it happen organically
What’s the hardest thing about writing a new song?
If the song had a deadline that’s kinda tough. I work well under pressure but sometimes you can’t rush good art. Also if the song is deeply personal I’ll have feelings like “ugh do I wanna say that? Do I want people knowing that about me?”
What message do you want your fans to get from Beautiful?
A better self-worth. An appreciation for who they are while embracing their “flaws.” And knowledge of other people’s beauty however different it might be from their own.
Are there any plans for an album?
Absolutely!! I’ve been working on the album for awhile now but I’ve also been touring the last one but there have been some hold ups. But I’m happy with how it’s coming along and I think Beautiful is a perfect single to kick off this new journey in music.
Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Alicia Keys, Justin Timberlake, Mariah Carey to name a few. I idolize so many different styles.
What are your thoughts about the Taylor Swift/KimyeWest drama?
Oh Lord. I’ll stay away from that. I don’t know how much of it is fact or fiction. It’s hard to tell. But it is entertaining to say the least!
Do you think YouTube is taking over the “finding talent” scene?
Yes. I think it’s allowing independent artists to be discovered without needing a label or exec to find them. It’s pretty cool that you can release your art on your own and make a living…..an awesome time to be alive in music.
Check Out The Music Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sua37Nux0I
- Best thing to happen this year: Sang for troops on the base in Abu Dhabi.
- Best thing to happen this month: Releasing my new song “Beautiful”.
- Best thing that happened today: I woke up healthy and rested.
- Best thing ever: Being loved by somebody.
- Favorite season: Summer & Fall.
- Favorite holiday: Christmas.
- Best holiday: My birthday.
- Which Sex in the City character do you identify with most: Kim [Samantha].
- Boxers or briefs: Briefs.
- Do you like surprises: Absolutely. Only good ones though.
- What’s the biggest surprise you’ve ever had: Making the Top 12 in American idol.
- Surprise that made you cry: Surprise birthday party.
- Favorite American Idol co-star: Mikalah Gordon. Different season but we’ve done many shows together.
- Flash mob where would it be: Hollywood Bowl.
- Top or bottom: My parents are gonna read this.
- Do you like cupcakes: Love em.
- Is there a dessert you don’t like: I don’t like regular cake.
- Cake or pie: Pie.
- Dark chocolate or milk chocolate: Milk chocolate.
- Favorite food: Chicken tenders.
- Least favorite food: Anything too fishy.
- Last meal on Earth would be and who would you eat it with: My late grandma and we would probably have thanksgiving dinner.
- Favorite condiment: Salt.
- It’s brunch! What do you eat: Anything that has bottomless mimosas.
- It’s 4 AM on a Saturday night – what do you eat: Chicken tenders with French fries.
- What’s Beautiful about in one word: Love.
- Favorite color: Black.
- Least favorite color: Green.
- Who is your fashion icon: My friend James.
- Favorite TV show that’s currently on: Ray Donovan.
- Favorite show to watch rerun marathons? American Horror Story: Coven.
- Favorite superhero: Mystique.
- Arms or ass: Ass.
- Tea or coffee: Coffee.
- Favorite person you’d love to have coffee with: Oprah.
- How do you like your coffee: Non-fat milk and one Splenda.
- Who was the last person you texted: My publicist about these questions.
- What was the last thing you tweeted: My single release party for “Beautiful”.
- iPhone or Android: iPhone.
- Song that always makes you dance: I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
- Vine or YouTube: YouTube.
- Twitter or Instagram: Instagram.
- Grindr or Tinder: Neither.
- Waxed or al natural: I like both.
- Who should everyone be following: Me @dhernandezmusic.
- Have you ever had anything stolen from you: Yes, a car.
- Favorite country to visit: Honduras.
- Last country you visited: Mexico.
- What was your first pet: A rat.
- What was your first pet’s name: Ben.
- Favorite Disney animal: Petri from The Land Before Time.
- Kittens or puppies: Puppies.
- What is your spirit animal: Dolphins. They too have sex for pleasure.
- What are you doing tomorrow: Photoshoot with Adam Bouska.
- What are you most excited about in life right now: Seeing how the single does, and hopefully touching some people’s lives.
- What’s your favorite movie: The Goonies.
- Favorite sex position: Anything as long as there is talking involved.
- If you could sing a duet with someone who would it be: Beyoncé.
- If your life was a song, what would it be: My song “Beautiful”.
- Book you’d take on a deserted island: The Alchemist.
- Best gift you ever received: The opportunity to perform at President Obama’s Inauguration.
- Last gift you gave a friend: Loyalty.
- Close friends describe me as…: Fiesty.
- Strangers would describe me as…: Generous.
- “_______” is overrated: Fore play.
- You think you’re really good at…: Damage control.
- You think you’re really bad at…: Bullshitting.
- You feel sexiest when…: I have on clean underwear.
- Your guilty pleasure is…: Anything with salt.
- Favorite curse word: Motherfucker.
- Best way to decompress: Alone time.
- Speedos or trunks: Trunks. V